If you are a national from outside EEA planning to move towards Belgium, you will need to apply for a visa at the Belgian Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

Different types of visa exist:

  • Scientific visa: Any non European researcher coming to Belgium in the frame of a hosting agreement signed with an approved research organisation benefits from a simplified and accelerated procedure to get its visa and residence permit – valid during the period of its research (the work permit requirement is cancelled). Please contact your future host organization for more details.Once you arrive in Belgium, you must go personally to the foreigners’ office of the municipal authorities of your place of residence in order to apply for a residence permit.
  • Visa C: The short-term “Schengen” visa allows you to stay in Belgium for maximum three months . It also gives you the right to travel freely through all the Schengen Member States2
  • Visa D: Also known as the “authorisation for provisional sojourn”, this visa allows you to reside and work in Belgium for a period longer than three months.