The Joint MSc Thesis Examination Board proposes 1-2 nominees per intake to be recognised with the «Prof. MB Collins» Award to best MSc presentation. This award is offered by the MER Consortium since 2018 in memory of the MER Consortium pioneering promoter. At the Graduation Ceremony, the winners of the “MB Collins Award” receive it from the hands of guest stakeholders.
- Anais Remili (Persistent organic pollutants in humpback whales from the southern hemisphere: influence of stock and trophic ecology; supervisor: Krishna Das; Univ. Liege)
- Karla Berenice Parga Martínez (Temporal trends in marine litter at three stations of the Hausgarten observatory in the Arctic deep sea (2002-2017); supervisor: Melanie Bergmann; Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research)
- Amavi Nimesha Silva (Does the biogeochemical effect of upwelling vary depending on the source water; supervisor: Toby Tyrell; University of Southampton).
- Floris Calkoen (Multi-decadal evolution of continental Portuguese beaches using landsat satellite imagery; supervisors: Ricardo Trigo & Rui Taborda; Universidade de Lisboa).
Elisabeth Sherr (The role of Science and a Scientific Body in the future United Nations Treaty for Conservation and Sustainable Use of BBNJ (Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction; supervisor: Carlos Garcia-Soto; BEGIK Joint Research Unit IEO-UPV/EHU).
- Mirsya Ekarina Mulyani (Palladium in the coastal environment: speciation and determination; supervisor: Antonio Cobelo García; Instituto de Investigaciones Marinas, CSIC, Vigo).
- Alejandra Mejía (Polymetallic nodule size and distribution of filter feeders in the Clarion-Clipperton Zone, Eastern Pacific; supervisor: Dan Jones & Erik Simon-Lledó; NOCS, Soton, Southampton)
- Axel Chabrerie (Effects of elevated temperature and nutrient deprivation on semi-naturally structured coastal assemblage; supervisor: Francisco Arenas; CIIMAR, Porto)
Alejandra (left) and Axel (right) receive the award from Dr Adolfo Uriarte (AZTI-BRTA, right) and Prof. Manu Soto (EHU MER Consortium Coordinator; left) at the PiE-UPV/EHU Graduation Hall (September 2021)
- Gloria Mariño (Life history and fishing aspects of deep-sea silver scabbardfish Lepidopus caudatus in the Azores; supervisor: Regis Santos; UAc, Sao Miguel, Azores)
- Amin Ghane (Sex chromosomes evolution and sex-determination systems in two ecotypes of Littorina Saxatilis in Swedish west coast; supervisor: Roger K. Butlin and Kerstin Johanssen; Univ. Gothenburg)
Gloria (left) and Amin (right) receive the award from Mrs Janice Collins (left) and Prof. Johan Etorneau (UBx MER UAB; right) at the PiE-UPV/EHU Graduation Hall (September 2022)